Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Transfer Case rubber mounts

Page 2 of 2 12
Transfer Case rubber mounts
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/28/2014 9:05 AM
Floobydust
Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2014
Vehicle(s): 1995 E320 Cabrio, 2003 G500, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8
RE: A revisit surprise to me!

DUTCH - 12/28/2014 6:50 AM

I was talking about the entire GKN shaft, not just the CV joints. If/when it becomes necessary on my G, that's the way I would go; although MB shaft from the right discounting dealer is not too much more expensive than the GKN.

Yes, I only paid about $100 more for the genuine MB shaft. I would have gone with the GKN version from ET if it had been in stock at the time.
#225893 - in reply to #225890
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 1/6/2015 7:34 AM
NHDave
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle(s): 2004 AMG

Floobydust - 12/28/2014 9:02 AM
DUTCH - 12/28/2014 6:52 AM Have you considered replacing the rear engine mount - the one that supports the tail of the tranny? If that is worn and out of line, that could be another source. When I did this on my 280GE, there was a major improvement.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already done that and it made no difference. In fact, at this point I have replaced every rubber interface on the entire drive train and suspension. The truck drives like a dream except for that vibration. Just before Christmas I did one last "maximum perturbation" on the transfer case where I flipped the homokientic shaft front to back and rotated in 180 degrees in the coupling flanges. The idea was to see if anything changed related to the vibration and it didn't. So at this point I can only conclude that there is something amiss in the TC itself.

Thanks again everyone.

Another update. This one comes with a slight vibration consideration, "Floobydust"....

I thought I'd try to retighten the clamps in place, for now...

Before I waste any more time on that idea, I needed to remove the small clamps and load the estimated amount of lost CV grease. I was able to slide a 1/4" poly tube/attached to my mini grease gun, between the rubber and the shaft. Now call around for new clamps, nothing available locally, so I decide to spread the old clamps and reuse them.

Now onto the large clamps. I can reach the clamp ears with the pincers. I give the first clamp, "all I have", snap goes me pincers!!! Off to HD and buy a nail puller/pincer. I managed to exert much more force than before. With fingers crossed, I head for the highway. 90 MPH should give me some idea. One clamp is holding, the other is still weeping ever so slightly. I'll give it another shot soon.

In the process of replacing the shaft and the TC mounts, I've developed a slight vibration as well! Starts around 55 and beyond, it migrates to the steering at times.

One thing I've noticed while swapping out the TC mounts, is all the play the M8 bolt holes allow. I did my best to seat the M8 washers exactly where they where, before I tightened the thru mount bolts. Even the thru bolts have play enough to raise the TC as much as a 3/16" above resting. The exact placement of the TC, in relation to perpendicular shafts, seems to be somewhat hit or miss to me. I'm going to set up a pair of lasers on the drive shafts, hoping to see if they are perpendicular to the TC, or at least parallel to each other.

More soon.

#226040 - in reply to #225892
Author
Posted 1/6/2015 12:00 PM
Floobydust
Veteran

NHDave - 1/6/2015 7:34 AM

In the process of replacing the shaft and the TC mounts, I've developed a slight vibration as well! Starts around 55 and beyond, it migrates to the steering at times.

One thing I've noticed while swapping out the TC mounts, is all the play the M8 bolt holes allow. I did my best to seat the M8 washers exactly where they where, before I tightened the thru mount bolts. Even the thru bolts have play enough to raise the TC as much as a 3/16" above resting. The exact placement of the TC, in relation to perpendicular shafts, seems to be somewhat hit or miss to me. I'm going to set up a pair of lasers on the drive shafts, hoping to see if they are perpendicular to the TC, or at least parallel to each other.

Welcome to my world! If you look carefully you will see that the left rear and front TC mount to chassis holes are slotted whereas the right rear are drilled round. This seems more like it's set up to account for manufacturing tolerances that setting an alignment as I think in the later case, all three sets would be slotted. I read on some thread somewhere in the ether that one should drive the truck with the 6 M8 bolts slightly loose to let the TC find "its happy spot", then coast gently to a stop and tighten them. I'm not sure how much credence to put in that, but that is what I read. I have tried multiple positions on my TC and none seem any better than any other.
#226051 - in reply to #226040
Author
Posted 1/7/2015 8:24 AM
NHDave
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Dec 2013
Vehicle(s): 2004 AMG
RE: Transfer Case rubber mounts

I'm not surprised you've noticed this as well. The idea or driving around with lose bolts seems odd, then again, the poster must have been chasing something to warrant it?

If you do pull the trigger on another TC, it'll be interesting dismantling the old. Perhaps you would like some company when and if you choose to do so?

Best of luck

#226080 - in reply to #225813
Author
Posted 1/9/2015 9:27 PM
Floobydust
Veteran

RE: Transfer Case rubber mounts

NHDave - 1/7/2015 8:24 AM

If you do pull the trigger on another TC, it'll be interesting dismantling the old. Perhaps you would like some company when and if you choose to do so?

Best of luck

I appreciate the offer of company, but unfortunately I got stuck traveling for work over the next two weeks, so I won't be able to do anything until afterward. I will repost when I am back. BTW, a lot of nice G Wagens here in the UK.

Edited by Floobydust 1/10/2015 3:47 AM
#226146 - in reply to #226080
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12